Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pleasant Mountain 7/26 (Denmark, Me.)

During the morning of 7/26 I hiked (4.6 mile round trip at a leisurely pace with time to enjoy the views) the South West trail up Pleasant Mountain. I read this is highest point in the Sebago/Long Lake area at about 2009 feet. This trail is supposed to one of the least traveled, up this popular hiking destination, and the only people (7) I saw were near the summit.

Red-eyed Vireos were quite vocal while the Ovenbirds are now silent, I saw a only one during the hike but heard none. It was a hot morning, and late in the breeding season so bird song was no where near peak, but Hermit Thrushes, Scarlet Tanagers were still going strong with the R.E. Vireos.

Wildflowers were nice.
Harebell
I don't know what these little flowers are (comments welcome)
Out of focus Eastern Towhee (Juvenile)

I had chosen this trail because the guide had said there were nice views nearly all the way up to the fire tower atop the the summit. A assortment of lakes, ponds, wetlands and the distant White Mtns of New Hampshire make for good scenery even with the day's triple H weather.

Black Swamp with Pleasant Pond (back), the marsh around the center pond is about 3/4 mile across.

Through my binoculars I could make out loons on Beaver Pond (below), there was smaller ripples coming from near the adults, which I assumed were young.
Beaver Pond

One of the highlights, was a brief sighting of a black bear, in a small area of low bush blueberry, I heard a heavy animal moving then saw its head as it ambled off. I clapped my hands and made a little noise to be certain it moved on.....as I had to pass where it was (was being the key word). But, generally bears are quite skittish, in my limited experience.

The bird life was basically a very similar to what is found in north central Massachusetts, while further south is at a very similar elevation, here is the list:

Ruffed Grouse...2 flushed along the trail
Common Loon...2 also appeared to young with them
Mourning Dove...1
Northern Flicker...1
Pileated Woodpecker...1
Eastern Wood-Pewee...1
Red-eyed Vireo...8
Blue Jay...3
American Crow...2
Tree Swallow...1
Barn Swallow...1
Black-capped Chickadee...5
Red-breasted Nuthatch...3
White-breasted Nuthatch...2
Winter Wren...2
Hermit Thrush...8
Cedar Waxwing...6
Nashville Warbler...1
Yellow-rumped Warbler..3
Black-throated Green Warbler...1
Pine Warbler...1
Black-and-white Warbler...1
Ovenbird...1
Scarlet Tanager...5
Eastern Towhee...2
Dark-eyed Junco...6
House Finch...2 biggest surprise given the habitat
American Goldfinch....1

No comments: