Friday, December 17, 2010

Barred Owl DOR 12/17

Barred Owl Rte Gardner
While traveling east bound on Rte, in Gardner, today I noticed a dead bird on the side of the road. Upon stopping I discovered it was a Barred Owl. I recall the winter of 2007/2008 was a bad year for road kill Barred Owls. Birders were finding dead birds with a great deal of frequency. I recall in a few days time, during early March 2008, finding 3 along Rte 2 between Westminster and Gardner and seeing another further east, where it was not safe to stop.


a "head on " view
My three ended up with Natural Heritage and were eventually forwarded to Tufts U. for further study. It seemed likely that winter, there was a major influx of northern birds. My understanding, from speaking with Natural Heritage during a followup conversation, the birds had not staved to dead but likely were hunting near the roads and highways and were struck by traffic. Hopefully this coming season will not be a repeat!

Needle sharp talons!

2 comments:

Larry said...

Lets hope this is the only one you find this winter like this.

Tom Pirro said...

Larry, its always bit a sad to find road kill owls...hopefully this'll be the last I find for a while.