Friday, April 13, 2007

Groton/Townsend Birds 4/13/07

During my lunch break I scanned over a former apple orchard near the Groton/Ayer town line, in past years I have conducted a hawkwatch from here. I did see a few raptors moving north east, 2 Ospreys and a high flying Northern Harrier, but the fields were covered by American Robins ( I estimated about 500). Another hilight was 2 Eastern Meadowlarks, first heard singing and after a bit of work I was able to see one and then two perched in the grass. Eventually, they flew back and forth across the fields, hopefully these birds will remain and nest.

American Robin "digi-binned" through 8x32 binoculars

On the commute home from work I birded the fields off West Meadow Road in Townsend, typically an area I have only birded from the road. Many Robins and blackbirds ( Red-winged Blackbirds, Grackles and Cowbirds) were feeding among the corn stubble. I had a nice look at a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, my first spring record of the year, and there are still American Tree Sparrows (8) soon to be replaced by Chipping Sparrows. Waterfowl seen included about 40 Canada Geese, 20 Green-winged Teal, 8 Wood Ducks and about 25 Ringed-necked Ducks (a farm pond near the headwaters of the Squannacook River.


Headwaters of the Squannacoock River in Townsend

No comments: