Friday, April 6, 2007

Osprey Nest in Pepperell, Ma. (4/06/07)

During my lunch today, I took a drive over to a beaver pond, off Elliot Street, in Pepperell to have at look at the Osprey nest, atop a pole toward the middle of the pond. I immediately heard the whistles of an Osprey, as I opened the car door, it was overhead in the mist of a skirmish with a Herring Gull that was passing by. I stayed for about 20 minutes, the Ospreys would remain in the air for the duration of my visit.

I first learned of this nest a few years ago from a local birder. There is another Osprey nest in the area on a cell tower, while Ospreys are fairly common (but local) nesters in south-eastern Mass., they are uncommon nesters inland. I used to fish the Nashua River, near by, back in the 80's. I recall there being a "healthy population of goldfish, some as large 10-12 inches....nice targets!

Osprey's nest just left of center

On the pond were a pair Canada Goose, 1 Hooded Merganser and 5 Common Mergansers.


Common Mergansers

A Common Flicker was drumming on the top of a Bluebird nest box in the distance, it was using the edge of the sheet metal peak for extra volume. I recall hearing a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, several years back near Quabbin Reservoir, tapping on the metal caution sign affixed to a steel power line tower.

A "drummin" Flicker

Lots of American Robins are passing through now, the recent cold weather and snow has concentrated them to limited open patches of grass and turning over leaves where possible.


A Robin works the leaf litter

Other highlights from Pepperrel today:

Green-winged Teal 5
Wood Duck 6

Red-bellied Woodpecker 2

Tree Swallow 3

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1

Golden-crowned Kinglet 2

Rusty Blackbird 1



No comments: