Saturday, April 26, 2008

Westminster Birds 4/26/08

Even though I haven't written much here recently, I have been birding a lot locally. I wanted to extend my human powered birding range ,so last week a bought a Trek mountain bike so I have been peddling around town.
One of the benifits of birding from the bike is that it gives one an excuse to stop on uphill climbs! Rather than looking like a complete "wuss" you can rationalize, that sounded like a Ruffed Grouse (actually it just my pulse rate going through the roof) stop, scan and look like you have a purpose and of course rest. But, seriously this is a great way to bird locally and not miss too much while in route from one place to another.

The spill way of Round Meadow Pond, in Westminster, this morning

This morning I biked just under 17 miles between 6:00 and 10:15 AM to Trophet Swamp and then up to High Ridge Wildlife Management Area. I struck out on marsh birds at Trophet and High Ridge, warbler activity was sparse but the numbers of White-throated Sparrows and House Wrens are on the increase. Purple Finches continue to show very well in the area, with several pockets of 4-10 birds, many are feeding on the flowering maples.

A Red-bellied Woodpecker has been territorial not far from my apartment

High Ridge was a busy place this morning, the radio controled aircraft folks were flying their aircraft, a "missing persons" drill was starting up about 9AM and retreiver field trials were in process, complete with live gun fire.

Yellow-rumped Warbler from Overlook Road in Westminster

Hilights included a fly over Merlin that was quickly swarmed by Tree Swallows and my first Black-throated Green Warbler of the year. I have still yet to come up with an Evening Grosbeak for the year, much of my winter was spent concentrating on moving and I haven't really targeted this species.

Hairy Woodpecker recent digi-binned from my yard
Currently my human powered year list stands at 92 species (88 which I've seen or heard in April) and as spring progesses I should be able to add a good deal of birds to this list.

This moring's list:
Canada Goose...22
Wood Duck...5
Mallard...8
Hooded Merganser...4
Double-crested Cormorant...5
Great Blue Heron...1
Osprey...1
Broad-winged Hawk...1
Merlin...1
Killdeer...1
Rock Pigeon...4
Mourning Dove...10
Belted Kingfisher...2
Red-bellied Woodpecker...1
Downy Woodpecker...5
Hairy Woodpecker...4
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)...3
Pileated Woodpecker...1
Eastern Phoebe...4
Blue-headed Vireo...6
Blue Jay...32
American Crow...12
Tree Swallow...41
Black-capped Chickadee...45
Tufted Titmouse...26
Red-breasted Nuthatch...1
White-breasted Nuthatch...9
Brown Creeper...2
House Wren...3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet...1
Eastern Bluebird...2
American Robin...79
European Starling...16
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)...11
Black-throated Green Warbler...1
Pine Warbler...5
Palm Warbler (Yellow)...1
Eastern Towhee...2
Chipping Sparrow...59
Song Sparrow...23
Swamp Sparrow...9
White-throated Sparrow...14
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)...1
Northern Cardinal...14
Red-winged Blackbird...40
Common Grackle...50
Brown-headed Cowbird...11
Purple Finch...34
House Finch...14
American Goldfinch...20
House Sparrow...29

No comments: