Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bolton Shorebirds 5/29, animated Sapsucker

I got an email, from Richard Spedding, about a White-rumped Sandpiper at Bolton Flats, on Friday and decided to stop by on my way to visit my folks, after work. While there was not a big number of shorebirds, the depressions in the field were about empty of water, but the few birds where pretty "good", for Central Mass. There were 3 White-rumped, 4 Semipalmated Sandpipers and 2 "Semi" Plovers. I got a few digi-scope shots:

White-rumped , I'm not sure if the red is a food item or it's tongue?
...again feeding

...with blurry "Semi-sand" in front.

Semipalmated Sandpiper, this has a deeply curved bill...almost Western Sandpiper like, but it seems to be lacking streaking on the flanks and some rust color.

...a Semi feeding
Saturday morning I was driving on Bennett Road in Ashby, Ma. and heard an odd metallic "clanging" noise. While odd, I was familar with the sound, and hit the brakes and there he was, peeking over the "SLOW" sign.
Sapsuckers and Flickers are known for drumming on metal objects that amplify the sound. Later, I could heard this bird drumming a 1/2 mile away, despite there being trees inbetween.

Ashby has a new Sheriff in town....
..trying to look like "Clint" but the yellow belly.... just doesn't do it!
..getting ready to drum on the sign.
....making contact

...and a nice pose.
this bird was extremely cooperative while I took photo after photo through my bins.

1 comment:

Kim said...

LOL Tom regarding the sherrif comment!! You got some fantastic shots of that gorgeous bird. I can only imagine the sound. The people who lived around the area must really enjoy that on an early Saturday morning no less!!! Great shots of the white-rumped.